Thursday, November 6, 2008

Training Camp Updates

Long couple of days out here in training camp, but I have a nice day off today as most of the rookies are playing against the Chi-Town Shooters in Dyer, Indiana. After the skate Monday morning, we had a scrimmage Team Blue vs. Team Black that was dominated by Blue, which didn't sit well with me considering I'm on the black squad. The beginning of the game there was a lot of adrenaline and guys running around with jitters and not really playing hockey. I think the second half slowed down a bit with guys starting to stand out a little bit. There was a light crowd on hand to check out the first day, as well as some media people from the Battle Creek Enquirer. We were on our own for dinner on Monday so after a little rest time at the hotel, myself and Aimone went out to Old Country Buffet for a meal.

We were back on the ice yesterday morning, again with the two teams divided up with Blue on the ice at 9 and Black on at 10. We did most of the same flow drills, break outs and regroups ended by a shootout for the goalies and to see who we can count on in a shootout this season. We had lunch delivered to us at the rink again by Fazoli's, this time it was sandwiches. And it was back on the ice at 1:30 again for another 2 hour scrimmage. This time the boys in black got the "W" as Team Blue was missing team captain Mark Allen, due to a slight groin pull. Yesterday was a tough one for me, in the scrimmage my back started tightening up and having some spasms. I hit the hot tub right when I got home last night and hit the hay early and luckily I'm feeling a little better today.

As mentioned before most of the rookies are playing Chi-Town today, in the very first BC Revolution game. Last night at dinner you could see the nervous looks on guys faces before their first ever pro hockey game. I remember my first one a couple years ago against Oklahoma City Blazers in a packed house in OK City. It's a nervous, but fun time as a young guy being able to realize a dream.

As for me today, I'll be enjoying an off day and lounging for most of it. I'll head out in a little bit to try to sell some tickets for tomorrow's preseason home opener. But other than that I'll just be taking it easy. So feel free to email or comment with any questions you may have.

No comments: