Monday, June 14, 2010

"Lookin back now, well it makes me laugh...

We were growin' our hair, we were cuttin' class." lyrics from Kenny Chesney's "Keg in the Closet" song. I haven't sat down to blog in months, since I quit playing hockey. Since then a lot has changed. I took a big boy job with Cardinal Sports, met an awesome girl who I've been with for 6 months, and have a puppy now. I play here and there in Burlington, MA with a group of buddies from high school in a men's league. When I came home from Detroit I barely skated for 4 months, I ran skills clinics for the River Rats younger teams but rarely played in games. The summer league started in May and I still wasn't sure if I was going to have fun playing or not. But playing now for just laughs with the boys, is the most fun I've had in years.

I haven't been away from the game of hockey at all. Working with Cardinal really is a dream job. I've managed to stay in the game, network to get to know a ton of awesome people and I'm helping guys move on to the next level of their dream. It's a good feeling when one of your clients commits to a school where you know he's going to play and succeed. I've opened myself up to the point that when I walk into a rink people know who I am and want to talk to me about players.

I was watching "Kenny Chesney, The Summer in 3D" and at the end Chesney talks about how he is taking a break from performing and being on the road. He talks about how he started in little podunk towns and small bars for no money. Then he kept working and kept growing to become the biggest country music star in the world. It makes you think back to the days of playing Mite hockey and climbing the ladder. Playing your first pro game and scoring your first goal. All the way to the end of it, when you walk off that ice for the last time as a professional hockey player. You realize that you made your dream come true and you can close that chapter to move on to the next one.

My next chapter includes this new job and whatever else it brings with it. Hopefully it has many new and wonderful experiences.

No comments: