Monday, October 13, 2008

What Drives You?

Everyday people strive to become better at what they do, whatever it is people want to be better at it. The people at the highest level of their profession got there somehow and it wasn't thru hoping to get there or wishing they were better than the competition. Thinking about this at the gym last week while riding the bike I looked around at everyone who works out at the Bally's in Woburn that I frequent. These people are everyday common people, construction workers to doctors; lawyers to probation officers. What drives them? Is it the next big promotion at work that drives them to get up every morning? Or maybe they want a shiny new car or build a new house. I'm pretty sure almost everyone in this country wants something bigger or better than what they already have. It's how we're conditioned to think, we're lucky enough to have the things we have, but we always want more.

I can't say that I've never settled for something, because I know that I have and I regret the few things that I settled for when I was younger. The list is long and I can't help but think that people 20,30 and 40 years older than me have lists a mile long, some people have made adjustments and that is why they keep pushing thru where they're at in their lives and driving towards the next big thing. But I'm still wondering what drives people. I know what drives me, my dream is what drives me. My dream to keep playing professional hockey.

No comments: