Monday, November 16, 2009

2009 Neponset Valley River Rats U18

Well we went into the state playoffs with a 19-1-2 overall record and a 10-0-2 league record. We were ranked as high as #2 in the country in certain national polls. We have 6 players committed to Division 1 Colleges and 12 other players all fielding offers from D1 schools, at least 8 of them will join our 6 committed players soon. Our head coach accepted an offer to be an assistant coach at Division 1 Sacred Heart University starting tomorrow morning. We won the Massachusetts Hockey Labor Day Tournament. To say the season was a success would be a huge understatement. But we ended the season 20-3-2, going only 1-2 in the playoffs and not making the state final game. It just wasn't in the cards

It's disappointing not to win the big game or even make it to the big game. From the start of the season everyone in the state thought we would be playing again in April in the National tournament. But through it all, I got to coach 20 great hockey players and more importantly great kids. I saw the determination, the courage and passion these guys play with. They're not getting paid to play the game, their parents are actually paying for them to play. They show up every week, leaving their prep schools and some were driving 3 hours both ways to come play in front of 10-15 scouts a night, some games in the middle of nowhere Massachusetts. All for the chance to get that phone call and hear the offer of a Division 1 school offering them a scholarship to play hockey and get a free education.

It really put things in perspective for me. These kids play for the love of the game. They play because they want to have fun. They come to the rink with their buddies, share some laughs and play a game. When it's over they go their separate ways and remain friends forever. After we lost our last game of the season Saturday night I walked into the locker room to find some kids crying, some in disbelief and some just sitting there with blank looks on their faces. I was emotional talking to the team for the last time ever. I held it together long enough to say my words, shake everyone's hand and say goodbye. Some of those kids have been with our organization for 3 or 4 years and never went to nationals. And I've built friendships with those guys who have been there for so long. I played on a summer hockey team with Ryan Coffey who was a 4 year vet of the Rats, the kid was my linemate. I texted him Sunday morning to thank him for everything he has done for the Rats and he wrote back saying "I just love playing man, I love competing and I never wanna stop doing that. That's why I respect you and you are the best coach I have ever had." To hear a kid say something like that choked me up. To know that I have made a difference in these kids lives is an unbelievable feeling.

I was telling my dad how hard the guys competed and he said "So they were perfect." Which completely threw me for a loop since we lost. He reminded me of the Friday Night Lights line "Play with love in your hearts for the game and your teammates and you'll be perfect." How true is that line?

So now that I'm done with the sentimental talk I'll move on. Earlier I mentioned my buddy and head coach Scott will be coaching at Sacred Heart this season. What I didn't mention is that I have been named the new head coach of the U18 River Rats for next fall. When I was brought on as an assistant 3 years ago I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I coached to have fun with the guys and slowly grew into this role. I can't wait to be the head guy next fall and already promised Scott that if I do make it to Nationals next year I'll have a spot waiting for him at the celebration party.

So there it is, the final write up for the '09 Rats. Good luck to all of you boys who read this blog. I can't wait to watch you guys play in college and beyond. I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one of you in the NHL someday.

And it's onto Detroit for me on Wednesday morning to join the Hitmen. I can't wait to be part of the team and turn things around for them. Hopefully I'll be writing a blog in April about the AAHL champion Detroit Hitmen.

OH!! And how stupid am I to forget to mention that the Neponset Valley River Rats U16 midget team did what their elders could not. On Sunday morning in Foxboro the Rats were led by 15 year old goalie Jon Gillies to a state championship and punched their tickets to Chicago in April for the U16 National tournament!!! Great job boys! Hopefully some of you will be helping me win a state championship and national championship a year from now. Congrats to all of you and 1st year head coach, as well as a former player of mine Frank O'Connor!

No comments: