Friday, September 26, 2008

The Big News

Ok so it's taken more than a day like I had originally expected, but the press release hasn't been released yet so I don't know if I should spill the beans yet or not. Last week there was a trade between Danbury and Copper City that sent Brett Riley from the Hatters to the Chiefs for future considerations. What wasn't released was the fact that I was part of that deal as well. There were some issues at the time of the press release that didn't have everything ironed out between myself and the Chiefs, but now I can proudly say I am under contract and very eager to start the season in Rome, NY.

Going to Rome should hopefully be a good move for me as a player and I think I can continue my path to success and move up the hockey ladder. At this point in my career at the single A level it's all about developing and to develop I just need to play. I don't care where or for who, as long as I'm on the ice and playing I'm happy. I don't know a thing about Rome, NY except that it is near Syracuse, which makes it nice to know I won't be in the middle of no where.

The season is right around the corner and I've never been busier. The past couple days I have been doing some side work with my roommate from this past season in Valley Forge, Joe Lyle. As partners in crime we've been taking on the maintenance world for a family owned restaurant chain called Bickford's. It's good work and it's fun working with Joe, who will be playing in Brooklyn this season for the Aces. Most of the time the past couple days we don't have a clue what we're supposed to be doing but much like in the MAHL we've gotten by. Yesterday we became impromptu plumbers fixing a leak, while Wednesday we became mechanics trying to fix one of the company box trucks. But now that I think about it we weren't very good mechanics since we were pushing the box truck on the highway with the company van, but we got the truck back to the restaurant it needed to be at.

It's funny looking around at some of the rosters this season there will be plenty of familiar faces from last season in Valley. Lyle and a couple guys will be in Brooklyn, my old linemate Bill Haas will be in Danbury, I think 2 or 3 guys will be in Jersey and my other roommate will be in Exeter. It's always fun to play against guys you have a bond with, where not only points in the standings are on the line but pride is as well.

With a little over 3 weeks to go I'm counting down the days to October 22 and I'm excited to get going. Stay tuned!

No comments: